…and have the courage to move on. Failure is the inevitable step to success. Whole-hearted words from Queen Bee aka Mrs. Carter herself, Beyonce.
So you know how when you criticize an article on a horrible site like the Daily Mail and link so people can see the original page, search engines see that as “someone is interested in this page,” and activity by people criticising the page looks just like activity by people liking it? So the horrible site goes up the Google search results? And the horrible site goes “whooo, lots of hits and links, guess that article was popular” and decides to create more horrible articles like it?
I’m tired of the narrative in which someone is born different- drastically different- from the people in their society, and get treated horribly for it, ignored and alienated at best and ridiculed and abused at worst, and then they manage to make their otherness into something tangibly beneficial for the people around them. And then they’re accepted and befriended and loved, and live happily ever after.
I hate this story. It sends this message that if you’re different and isolated and alone, you should try to accomplish something that will make people think you’re worthwhile. I watch and read these stories disliking that the different person accepts that conditional respect with such happiness. I’d like to read the story in which the different person does save everyone, because they’re not an asshole, but afterwards they leave.
They don’t accept the friendship of the people who neglected and abused them. They find somewhere else full of people who care about them even if what makes them different is sometimes hard to deal with, or strange for them. They find a place that accepts them and tells the people they loved with that it wasn’t okay to treat them like that and they don’t forgive them for it, and might not ever. And the narrative doesn’t treat them like pondscum for not being able to forgive. The narrative accepts that they have a right to their anger. I’d like to read that story.
Announcing TOWER! The game of a Princess tired of waiting.
A retro-styled top-down fantasy adventure-story game. Scheduled for release 20 July 2014.
Starring a Princess taking control of her own destiny, and a magical cat with strong eyeliner game.
Based on an original idea by Rachael Roach, made with love and lots of swearing by Kali Black.
Things this game definitely includes:
- flexibility for different play styles
- trope subversion
- feminism dragons
- a level shaped like a butt
- chainmail banana hammock
- underdressed dudes
- references to Zork, The Princess Bride, The X Files, and more
Things this game definitely does not include:
- metal bikinis
- damsels in distress
- women in refrigerators
Windows 2000 or better
1.0 GHz Intel Pentium III equivalent or better
400MB available hard disk space
seriously this will run on just about any computer made in about the last 10 years no trouble
PREORDERS? YES PREORDERS!
20% discount for preorders (preorder price US$3.99, price at release $4.99).
No signup required. Secure payment processing via Stripe. Checkout and automated delivery via GetDPD.
Note: please make sure that you provide a valid email address, as your download link will be sent to the email address you use during checkout.
Another note: If you use a script blocker, you only need to allow dpdcart.com
Final note: if for any reason the above link doesn’t work, it may have been updated, so try this page:http://kalimayablack.tumblr.com/tower
Hey. Can I be straightup with you, for a second? You want this game.
It is fun and it is funny and it is creepy and scary and trippy and wonderful and, again, fun.
You Want This Game.
Reblogging because this sounds AWESOME and I’ll buy it when I can afford to (after car stuff and all that).
The person who wrote up the list of things the game includes clearly knows how to get my attention!
AAAAAH THIS IS GOING ON MY LIST OF GAMES TO GET THE SECOND I HAVE ANY SPARE MONEY OMG.
We at Hiveworks are proud to announce our latest collaborative comic, premiering early 2015!
What is Umbra Rising?
Umbra Rising is a comic about an isolated city in the middle of a dangerous world filled with monsters. During the day, the city is perfectly safe. At night, however, the populace locks themselves inside as the city streets fill with monsters. The only ones who can combat these creatures are very special girls with the power to transform into…
While the girls go out and fight to protect the city, the town treats them as heroes and idols. Shops are filled with Magical Girl celebrity merchandise, and many girls lead wealthy lives as practical pop stars. But the danger they face is real, and not everyone appreciates the way the town views its saviors.
But obviously, magical girl comics are all about the characters! While the town is filled with various teams of girls, here’s the gals we’ll be following:
Tessa is Alchemical Aether. She’s the leader of the Alchemical Elements team, and probably the most powerful. She draws directly from the ambient magical power of their world to pull off attacks made of pure energy. But does being the most powerful necessarily make her a good leader?
Sally is Alchemical Fire. Appropriate to her element, she’s extremely fickle and passionate. She seems to always be angry about something or other, but everyone knows it’s because she’s the most sensitive of the group.
Undine is Alchemical Water. She’s the most level headed of the group, and usually does her best to keep everyone working together smoothly. She hates rocking the boat, though, and often lacks the assertiveness to help as much as she wants.
Sylvia is Alchemical Air. She’s the oldest of the group, and tries to seem the most mature. She takes full advantage of her Idol status, and has quit school to work as a fashion model.
Gwen is Alchemical Earth. Gwen never says more than she has to, but she tends to leave an impression when she speaks. Though sometimes she seems to be in her own mental space entirely.
Of course, these are just a few of the comic’s characters! They’ll be joined by other magical girls, investigators, reporters, and all kinds of other people that both help them and put them at odds.
So who’s making this?
Produced and Published by Hiveworks.
We’ve still got a while before the premiere, so we’ll be updating here with various concept sketches and art! Please follow us here and at Umbrarising.com, because it’s going to be quite a ride!
the cats outta the bag
Well that’s the end of Chapter 8! Hope you all enjoyed! Star Trip will be going on a two week hiatus so I can get Chapter 9 finished up. So expect the first page of the new chapter sometime mid August!
I would also like to announce that Star Trip is now officially an affiliate on Hiveworks! How cool!!
Stay frosty everyone!
If you like this list of life hacks, follow ListOfLifeHacks for more like it!
roblogging for future use
WIMBLEDON - RICH WHITE LADIES (x)
- do you usually sleep with your closet door open or closed? My closet doesn’t close properly, so open.
- do you take the shampoo from hotel rooms? Nope. I don’t use them. I would take any mints though.
- where is your next vacation? Home. Next year, Vegas.
- who do you think reads these? No one.
- do you have a calendar in your room? Yes. It’s Hello Kitty.
- what’s your plan for the day? Pretty such surfing and relaxing. I will work on some stuff for friends when it’s not baking outside.
- are you reading any books right now? Less on reading books and more on finishing them. I have a fuckton to finish.
- do you ever count your steps when you walk? No. The last time I did it was over a year ago on my way to the post office.
- do you ever dance even if there’s no music playing? If it’s head, yeah.
- do you chew your pens and pencils? No, but I used to chew on pen caps when I was a kid.
- what is your “song of the week”? ‘Moon Pride’ from Momoiro Clover Z for the Sailor Moon Crystal OP. Although I like the ED, Gekkou from the same group, 100x more but there’s no full version for Gekkou right now…
- is it okay for guys to wear pink? It used to be a masculine color like 70 years ago. I think assigning colors to two sexes is wrong because it’s sexist and non-binary exclusive.
- do you still watch cartoons? Hell yeah, motherfucker.
- what do you drink with dinner? Usually iced tea or some low calorie fruity drink.
- what do you dip chicken nuggets in? Sweet and Sour Sauce. Sometimes Ranch.
- what is your favourite food/cuisine? Favorite food is takoyaki. But my fave cuisine is Soul Food, that was what I was raised with and other cuisines can’t really beat it for me.
- when was the last time you wrote a letter to someone on paper? Grade school.
- can you change the oil on a car? Nope.
- what is your usual bedtime? Usually between 1-2am.
- are you lazy? Sometimes, but I am mostly tried though.
- afraid of heights? Not really, unless fear of flying counts, but I’m more afraid of crashing than the heights.
- occupations you wanted to be when you were a kid? A surgeon before I realized I can’t stand the site of guts, then an astronomer before I realized how bad I am in physics.
- hot tea or cold tea? COLD TEA IS HEAVENLY. It’s the Southern roots in me. LOL.
- tea or coffee? Tea all day, erry day. Coffee does nothing for me unless it’s tiramisu or coffee ice cream.
- favourite kind of cookie? White chocolate and macadamia nut.
- can you swim well? I can’t swim at all…
- can you hold your breath w/o manually holding your nose? Considering that I get hiccups often, I can do it like a champ.